
Strikes that had been planned for London’s underground system this week have been suspended.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union members had been due to walk out at noon on Tuesday, and again on Thursday.
But on Monday it said there had been a change in stance from employers, Transport for London (TfL).
A union spokesperson said: “At the 11th hour the employer has shifted its position allowing us to further explore our members concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues.
“The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress.”
Strikes scheduled for 16 and 18 June have also been called off.
However, the union instead announced new 24-hour strike dates of 2 and 4 June if the dispute remains unresolved.
It says its members oppose a new four-day working week arrangement on the underground.
Nick Dent, director of customer operations for London Underground, said: “We are pleased that RMT has withdrawn its planned industrial action this week. This is good news for London.
“Our proposal for a voluntary four-day week is designed to improve both work-life balance for drivers and the reliability of service for customers.
“We look forward to further discussions on the implementation of these proposals with all of our trade unions.”
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.
Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.
